Wednesday, September 16, 2009

First workshop

Yes, Beth!!! That counts for journaling!
I had my first Rescue the Rescuer workshop tonight. I really enjoyed care givers of many types sincerely searching for healthy care giving techniques.
I did, however, sell myself short! One person in the workshop asked if all the sessions were only based on the one care giving experience I shared (Mike's 2007-2009 depression). I came home and "journaled" other caregiving experiences I've had:
--Raising 3 sons
--Mike's 1990-1991 bout with depression
--children in my day care
--my pre-school and kindergarten students
--my father during his last year
--my present employees
--patients who come to our clinics
--my grand-daughter and our children when we weren't sure she would make it
--church families that we pastored
--small "Bible study" groups we have mentored

Care giving comes in short-term and long-term
Sometimes there is one issue of care giving...sometimes many issues at one time

No matter what...the same principles apply to care giving. Tonight we learned the first principle: communicate. Let others who you can trust know the truth about what is going on in your life. Don't be afraid to share your real self.

1 comment:

  1. Julia,

    I remember so many times feeling just angry at my loved one (i.e. my Mother would say how is....clicking her fingers, and I would smartly reply, "Derek, the man I've been married to for 28 years?!"). I would get home from visiting her feeling so mad and my sweet daughter would say, Mom, she can't help it, she's not doing it on purpose. AGH! I so need to be reminded of that. Also, Derek can't help being blue...I can't be angry at him for being sad, wishing he'd just snap out of it. All that to say, I'm glad you said Weds. eve, how you felt so bad for your loved one to know that he is struggling...you started getting misty, which almost broke my 'dam' and I too got misty! It's so easy to get caught up in how we're being treated and how we're feeling that we lose sight that they NEED the care, thus why we're called the caregiver!
    o.k., I've journaled, communicated and now I look forward to a BREAK today...yea, it's Saturday. Can't wait to drink my pot of coffee and get ready for my daughter's visit home from school, however, I'm a crazy person up @ 5am...need to crawl back to bed for a few more hours.
    Enjoy your day, Julia!

    ReplyDelete